Long Term Residence Permit in Turkey
LONG TERM RESIDENCE PERMIT
Long term residence permit is an institution accepted in many legal systems. It is also regulated in Turkish law within the scope of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection. In accordance with this law, convenience is provided to foreigners who have stayed in Turkey for many years, adapted to the Turkish lifestyle and established close relations with our country. Long term residence permit is the type of residence granted by the governorships with the approval of the Ministry to foreigners who have stayed in Turkey for at least eight years uninterruptedly, or to foreigners who meet the conditions determined by the Ministry.
Other types of residence permit are;
3. Student Residence Permit
4. Humanitarian residence permit
5. Victim of human trafficking residence permit
CONDITIONS FOR OBTAINING LONG TERM RESIDENCE PERMIT
1. Uninterrupted stay in Turkey for at least 8 years with a residence permit
When determining the beginning of the 8-year period, the application date will be taken as a basis.
Situations that will be considered as interruption in the residence period;
- If foreigner leaves the country
- Staying in Turkey without a residence permit
2. Not having received social assistance in the last 3 years
Information on this matter will be requested from the relevant institutions and organizations.
3. To have a regular income at a level to sustain life economically
The foreigner must have the financial power to cover the monthly expenses of the foreigner as much as the minimum wage and the financial power to cover the expenses equal to one third of the minimum wage for each family member with him/her in total.
4. Having health insurance
5. Not to pose a threat to public order and security
The Ministry of Interior has also been authorized to introduce new conditions for long-term residence permits.
WHO CAN OBTAIN LONG TERM RESIDENCE PERMIT IN TURKEY?
1. Foreigners who have stayed in Turkey with a residence permit for at least 8 years without interruption and who comply with the conditions determined by the Ministry
2. Refugee, conditional refugee and foreigners not under subsidiary protection status
3. Foreigners who do not benefit from humanitarian residence permit and temporary protection
WHO CANNOT OBTAIN LONG TERM RESIDENCE PERMIT?
There are some restrictions on this permission. Due to the fact that the long-term residence permit has the most advantageous position after citizenship, it has been carefully considered by the legislator and has left some statuses out of the scope. Those people ;
-Those with secondary protection status
-Humanitarian residence permit holders
-Those with temporary protection status
-Those with work permit exemption
Even if these people have stayed here for 8 years without interruption, they cannot be entitled to a long term residence permit.
It should be noted that the condition of living in Turkey for 8 years without interruption is reduced to 4 years for foreigners who have studied in Turkey.
ADVANTAGES OF LONG-TERM RESIDENCE PERMIT
Certain rights are granted to long term residence permit holders. Those who have this permit are in a more advantageous position in practical life compared to foreigners who have other types of residence permits. Those who have this permit can benefit from the rights granted to Turkish citizens as a rule. While these people enjoy some rights, they are also deprived of others. For example; they are deprived of the right to elect and be elected, to work in the public sector and to import vehicles with exemption.
ADVANTAGES OF LONG-TERM RESIDENCY PERMIT
-Exemption from military service in Turkey
-Retention of acquired rights regarding social security
-Being subject to the provisions of the legislation applicable to Turkish citizens in matters such as residence, travel, work, investment, commercial activity, inheritance, purchase and transfer of movable and immovable property in Turkey.
-Right to apply for an indefinite work permit
CANCELLATION OF LONG-TERM RESIDENCE PERMIT
Cancellation of this permit is more difficult than other residence permits. In this context, the situations that will require the cancellation of the long-term residence permit;
1. Living outside of Turkey for more than one uninterrupted year
This should not result from health, education or compulsory public service in the foreigner’s country. For those who leave Turkey for more than one year for any reason other than these reasons, their long-term residence permit may be revoked. If there is an interruption exceeding 180 days in retrospective one-year periods from the date of application, another one-year period is passed. This phase continues until the eight-year time frame is completed. If there is no interruption exceeding one hundred and eighty days in one-year periods, it is checked whether there has been an interruption exceeding three hundred and sixty-five days in total within the last five-year period. Getting the most accurate information about your concrete situation will prevent you from losing your rights.
2. If the foreigner poses a serious threat to public order and security
This condition both obtains a long-term residence permit and complicates the cancellation of the permit as a condition sought for the cancellation of this permit.
RE-ISSUE OF CANCELLED LONG TERM RESIDENCE PERMIT
If the long-term residence permit has been canceled because the foreigner poses a serious threat to public order and security, it is not legally possible to re-grant this permit. However, foreigners whose long-term residence permits have been canceled on the grounds of living outside Turkey for more than one year uninterrupted due to health, education or compulsory public service in the foreigner’s country may apply to obtain this permit again. The application can be made to the consulates abroad or to the governorships in the country. Application requests are finalized within 1 month at the latest.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR LONG TERM RESIDENCE PERMIT
1. Residence Permit Application Form
2. Copy of passport or passport substitute document
3. 4 biometric photos taken within the last 6 months
4. Copy of previous residence permit, if any
5. The original of the document showing that no social assistance has been received in the last three years
6. The original of the document proving that you have sufficient and regular financial means during your stay
8.Valid health insurance
9. Document or receipt showing that the residence permit card fee has been paid
10. Document showing that it is registered in the Address Registration System
11. Document Indicating the Place of Accommodation (deed, lease agreement, document showing accommodation in a dormitory or hotel, or document showing that you are staying with a third person)
For more detailed information about long term residence permit, you can contact us.